Glossary of Terms Used in Flake8 Documentation¶
- A piece of logic that corresponds to an error code. A check may be a style check (e.g., check the length of a given line against the user configured maximum) or a lint check (e.g., checking for unused imports) or some other check as defined by a plugin.
- error class
- A larger grouping of related error codes. For example,
W504are two codes related to whitespace.
W50would be the most specific class of codes relating to whitespace.
Wwould be the warning class that subsumes all whitespace errors.
- error code
- error code
- The symbol associated with a specific check. For example,
pycodestyle implements checks that look for whitespace
around binary operators and will either return an error code of
- A plugin that augments the output of Flake8 when passed
- The project Flake8 depends on to calculate the McCabe complexity
of a unit of code (e.g., a function). This uses the
Cclass of error codes.
- A package that is typically installed from PyPI to augment the behaviour of Flake8 either through adding one or more additional checks or providing additional formatters.
- The project Flake8 depends on to provide style enforcement.
pycodestyle implements checks for PEP 8. This uses the
Wclasses of error codes.
- The project Flake8 depends on to lint files (check for unused
imports, variables, etc.). This uses the
Fclass of error codes reported by Flake8.
- Typically the
Wclass of error codes from pycodestyle.